Welcome to my blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Simple Thought


Last Saturday was a rainy day in Georgia. I like to crochet as a hobby so I decided to spend most of the day crocheting a scarf for a co-worker. As I crocheted I started to think about how glad I am that I’m not married because I wouldn’t have time to spend a whole day crocheting. The thought was shocking because two days prior I was having yet another pity party because someone else I know is getting married. So after much deliberation I came to the conclusion the real reason my thought was so surprising; it’s because deep down I was afraid if I become too content being single that God will leave me single. Panic, fear and doubt began to flood my mind. I began to hear thoughts like: honey, you are over 30, there are no eligible men in your age group and you missed your chance for marriage. I started to become paralyzed with fear. At that moment I had a choice. I could have thrown another pity party or I could fight back. This time I won the battle. I fought back! I put down the crochet project and picked up my bible. I refocused my mind and began to mediate on scripture. I let God’s word sink into my mind and I felt God’s peace. This peace was no comparison for my negative emotions. Soon after joy began to grow in my heart and before I knew it I was praising God and my focus shifting from doubt, fear and unbelief to worship and gratitude!
Here are a few things I recommend when crazy thoughts try to bombard you:

Stop and refocus your thoughts
For every lie swirling around in your head there is a truth to replace it. Recognize there is a spiritual battle going on. Satan wants to destroy Christians and the mind is the battlefield. If you want to have victory as a child of God you have to train your mind to think the way God does. This involves meditating on scripture. The word has to take root in your heart. Renewing your mind takes practice and training. You can’t renew your mind one time on Monday and expect it to stay that way all week. It’s like training for the gold at the Olympics. It’s going to take sacrifice, discipline and training. When we see people preparing for the Olympics we can appreciate the dedication and sacrifice involved. It should be the same way when it comes to renewing our minds. We’re training for something far more valuable than a gold medal. We’re training for the kingdom of heaven.

“ Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”(Romans 12:2, NIV)

Learn to recognize the voice of truth
The voice of truth is the Holy Spirit of God. You can only learn to know His voice by spending time with him. God wants you to hear from Him. He delights in having a relationship with us (his children) and it is completely possible to hear from Him. God also wants us to be one with him so we can know him and understand His will. We really can’t overcome our struggles in our own strength. Take a look at John 14:15 -16 and John 17:20-23.







1 comment:

  1. Thank you AJ for your wisdom and encouragement. I am approaching 40 years old,and I have to be reminded to never doubt God's will for my life.

    ReplyDelete